Beckoning Blooms

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Having Fun with Homemade Granola!

I've mentioned to you in the past that I always get stuck when it comes to breakfast. Well one thing that I love is fruit, low fat yogurt, and homemade granola! Today I whipped up another batch :) It is so quick and easy and lasts me several months. Here's my recipe for today's batch:

½ Cup Canola Oil
Canola Oil cooking spray
24 Oz. of Honey
1 Cup Molasses
2 ½ Cups Creamy Peanut Butter
2 Tablespoons of Salt
3 Tablespoons of Ground Cinnamon
2 Tablespoons of Ground Ginger
½ Tablespoon of Ground Cloves
3 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
42 oz container of Whole Oats *(NOT instant or quick Oats)*
3 Cups of Whole Almonds
½ Cup Chopped Pecans
½ Cup Dried Cranberries
1 Cup White Raisins

Preheat oven to 300* and spray two large cookie sheets with Canola Oil cooking spray. In LARGE pot heat oil, honey, molasses, peanut butter and stir often on medium heat. As it begins to melt add salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and vanilla extract. Once this mixture is completely melted and mixed well, turn off the heat and remove from the burner. Add in ½ of the Whole Oats and stir well. Add in almonds & pecans and stir well. Add the remaining ½ of the Whole Oats and stir until everything in the pot is covered. Pour and spread evenly onto the two cookie sheets. Cook at 300* for 10 minutes and stir, cook again for 10 minutes and stir, cook for another 10 minutes and stir well and remove from oven. The goal is to absorb a good about of the moisture in the cooking process but it will still be a little sticky when you remove it from the oven. Cool completely and then add Dried Cranberries and White Raisins.
*Very important to always add the dried fruit AFTER the cooking process because the fruit will dry up and harden in the oven and it is not good for your teeth or the flavor.*

This recipe makes two large gallon bags or 32 cups of granola. It freezes really well and is perfect for gifts! I eat this a few times a week and it will usually last us about 4 months. The beauty of homemade granola is that you can play with it and add what you like. I’ve decreased the honey in the past and added 1 cup of brown sugar. I’ve also added cocoa powder and cayenne powder which add a great flavor. I’ve used a bunch of other dried fruits and nuts in the past too. I’ve heard of people adding chocolate chips or marshmallows once it is cooled as well. I almost never make it the same way twice and always try to use up whatever I have in my home. Have fun with it and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment