Beckoning Blooms

Monday, February 27, 2012

Exercise???? Exercise!!!! Exercise.

Exercise????

My husband and I have been on this journey of getting healthy physically, emotionally, and spiritually for exactly six months and have definitely experienced highs and lows along the way. In the beginning I had loads of questions regarding exercise. I shared with you all in my blog post “Finding the path…to regular exercise” some of the history behind me and the dreaded “E” word. So when approaching exercise in September 2011 I battled physically through limitations due to the infections in my lungs and being morbidly obese at almost 300 lbs. I also battled emotionally through a life history not being athletic, shame from trying in the past and giving up, and shame from being overweight in the first place. Somehow I functioned by an irrational belief that everyone else in the world knew exactly what to do at the gym and that everyone would be looking at me with judgment and criticism. In the past I would have allowed these limitations, insecurities, and questions to ultimately cause me to give up yet again but not this time!

Exercise!!!!

My husband, my personal trainer, and several wonderfully supportive friends have really been an amazing asset as I am learning all about exercise for the first time ever! After about two solid months of training, exploring the gym, trying different activities, and learning about the muscles in my body I have gained a huge amount of confidence. By this time God had been really working on my heart and attitude about this exercise thing. I had a revelation that Exercise is NOT Punishment but is part of God’s perfect plan for our overall physical, emotional, and spiritual health. Have you ever thought about that? Exercise was divinely inspired! Wow! It still rocks my world to think that the God of all creation intricately designed our bodies to function at their maximum potential only as worship him through exercise, eating healthy, getting plenty of water, and appropriate rest. Wow! It honors God when I exercise, mind blowing!

It was fun at Christmas to visit Ohio and join a gym for only the two weeks we were there. This may seem strange but we were so committed to exercise and didn’t want to fall out of our routine while traveling. I wondered if my confidence would translate in this new environment and it did! I wasn’t intimidated by the “regular” muscle men types that love to mark their territory and get annoyed with new comers. I felt comfortable using unfamiliar machines with the general knowledge that I’ve gained. I was able to modify our workouts based on the equipment available at this facility which was quite different from our gym in Dallas. I even taught my mom two of the work out routines my trainer developed for us. Let’s just say my exercise enthusiasm & momentum could not be stopped, I was a leaner, meaner exercise machine!

Exercise.

So if you’ve been following my story you know what comes next. Immediately after our holiday trip to Ohio I got sick again, Bronchitis Ugh! Since I was released from bed rest in last August 2011 with the fungus infection in my lungs, I’ve had bronchitis 3 times in five months. (September 2011 – January 2012) Each time I was put on bed rest for at least 3 weeks, had to take oral and inhaled steroids along with a bunch of other meds, and did up to 4 breathing treatments daily. Adding that up it is 19 weeks of bed rest since June. Let me just tell you that continually takes a toll on me physically and emotionally and it would be very easy to lose whatever exercise momentum I have built up with that fighting against me. I mean let’s be honest I have built a routine of exercise avoidance for 35 years and with only 6 solid months under my belt I think the odds are definitely against me if I was a betting girl ;)

However, I’m a firm believer that God uses everything for His glory and definitely has a purpose & lesson in everything. I think my lesson through all the ups and downs of illness regarding exercise has been that I need to Exercise Period. As long as I have the approval of my doctor, trainer, and husband I am going to exercise. Rain or shine, good mood or bad mood, low or high motivation, and fat days or skinny days I am going to exercise. Especially when challenged with continued illnesses that are likely to occur I maintain a commitment to exercise. I maintain a commitment to honor God with my body through Exercise. I knew when I began this journey that it would be long and trying but I also knew and hold on to the confidence that as a Christ follower I can trust in an ever loving and faithful God to continue to guide and inspire me along the way!

7 comments:

  1. AMEN SISTER! I am so stinking proud of you! WOW! You even joined a gym during your vacation!!! THATS real commitment right there! So excited for you! I will be praying that you will no longer battle with Bronchitis! I use to get it every year at least once...but usually twice a year..it started at CFNI....and I usually had to be in the hospital for a day. But, I started eating healthier a few years back and loosing weight (20 pounds so far...its a SLOW loss lol :-) But...this year is my SECOND year....Bronchitis FREE! Not even a COLD!!!! I have only had the puke flu once thats it...in two years! ALL GLORY TO GOD! I am so thankful for His love for me! I'll praying God will not only continue to make you weight healthy...but sickness free! I love you Jen (and Adrian, Im so proud of you too!!!) I hope God lets me see you guys again soon! -Enid Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enid thank you SO MUCH for your love and encouragement. You are such a wonderful and faithful friend. I remember your struggle with bronchitis and it is so encouraging to hear that you have gained victory over those health issues through our Lord. I can't wait to have that same report. We love you guys so much and are praying to head back that way sometime later this year. XOXO Jen

      Delete
  2. Way to go babe you encourage me daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you honey! You too encourage & challenge me on this journey to keep pushing forward! You are the best hubby a girl could ever dream of. I love you SOOOO much!

      Delete
  3. Exercise as worship...yep, that one is going to percolate in my brain for a while. Thanks for the food for thought!

    And way to go on the breakthrough of not seeing exercise as a punishment. That's where I am now (and where I was before Danger came along and where I KNOW I will be once Danger makes his appearance in the real world) so I find it inspiring that you were able to break through that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ashley, let me know what you think about you percolate for awhile :) Believe me this personal revolation was a long time coming! 35 years to be exact :) I appreciate you feedback!

      Delete
  4. I have to admit. I have been faithfully reading your blogs. However, I have to be honest... I have a love hate relationship with them! I really hate it because its convicting to the flesh, but fantastic revelation every time!

    ReplyDelete