Beckoning Blooms

Monday, February 20, 2012

In Christ Alone

In Christ Alone

Words & Music by Keith Getty & Stuart Townend

In Christ Alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song;
This Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
Here in the love of Christ I stand.


In Christ alone! – who took on flesh,
Fullness of God in helpless babe!
This gift of love and righteousness,
Scorned by the ones He came to save:
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied –
For every sin on Him was laid;
Here in the death of Christ I live.


There in the ground His body lay,
Light of the world by darkness slain:
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again!
And as He stands in victory
Sin’s curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine –
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.


No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life’s first cry to final breath,
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I’ll stand!


CCLI Song # 3350395, © 2001 Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)

Here is Natalie Grant's remake of this classic hymn so you can hear it too!


This hymn has such profound value and meaning to me as a Christ follower particularly as I walk through this journey of change. I believe that all human beings are separated from God through a nature we are born with that willfully and deliberately violates  the holiness of God (Romans 3:23). I believe that the son of God, Jesus Christ, came to earth through a virgin birth, lived a holy and flawless life, died a brutal death on a cross, and three days later rose from the dead (Matthew 1: 20-21, John 3:16, Acts 2:24). God made this sacrifice so that we may be reconnected to him and no longer separated by sin (John 3:17-18). I have in my life sought out satisfaction, fulfillment, and peace through relationships, through money, through alcohol, through trying to be perfect in my own power, and through food. In my life none of those things compared to having a personal intimate relationship with a living God. I don’t think my life is all that different from yours is it? I believe deep down in the core of our being we are ALL searching for the hope, love, and peace mentioned in this beautiful hymn.

Yet having received Christ as my personal savior and walking through this life in relationship with Him I find that some of the words ring heavy in my heart. As the writer states…
And as He stands in victory
Sin’s curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine –
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.


I know in my head that as I have confessed my sins to Christ and have been forgiven I too am walking in this victory. I know this in my head but if I’m being honest with myself and you there are days that my feelings don’t match up with this reality. There are days that the curse of sin seems to be drawing me over and over again to that kitchen, or restaurant, or dessert. There are days that I feel very far away from this truth. The reality is that the word of God is clear and true no matter how my feelings waver. When my feelings begin to dominate my actions it is time for me to get those feelings in check! I am forgiven and happily reminded as I read my Bible or sing a song like this that the truth of God’s word has and will time and time again reset my wondering feelings. I don’t know about you but I need reminders like that from time and time again.
Celebrate this last part with me will you?

No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life’s first cry to final breath,
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I’ll stand!


I love to read that over and over again and let it sink into my heart and mind. As I walk through this journey to getting healthy I have hope that there is NO power that will keep me from the will of God. It is not my cravings, my failures, my defeats, my obesity, my laziness, my perfection, my schemes, or my strength that I have to depend on. I can depend on a loving and living God who holds my life in the palm of His hand. I am certain that he cares so much for me and you that he has every hair on our head counted (Matthew 10:29-31). He knows & provides every breath we will ever take. He commands my past, present, & future and nothing can separate me from him! I am encouraged, strengthened, and invigorated by this truth! So on this journey through life I can scream to the mountain tops that Here In The Power of Christ I’ll Stand!
Are you able to scream that too? Do you have questions or trouble with anything I wrote?  I would love to hear from you so please comment below or if you’d like to be more private please email me at mrsadrianpina@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment